PEEC Program Overview
The PEEC program’s mission is to foster and empower a professional environmental education network to promote environmental literacy in South Carolina. To achieve this mission, the PEEC course provides challenging and engaging multidisciplinary avenues to strengthen an individual’s skill set as an environmental educator.
The PEEC content blends the North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) Core Competencies with South Carolina specific topics, examples, and regions.
- Timeline for Completion: 2 years
- Eligibility: South Carolina K-12 formal and nonformal educators
- Environmental education training and experiences in the different regions of the state
- 120 Hours of Renewal Credit through the S.C. State Department of Education
$600 (includes workshop lodging, field experiences, some meals, instruction, and supplies)
- Four, two-night and three-day, in-person workshops designed to develop skills for effective environmental education instruction.
- Eight online modules using Google Classroom online learning platform. These modules explore topics such as the foundations and history of the field of environmental education.
- Individualized elective component (90 hours) that encourages exploration of and the different regions of the state and aligns with the personal interests of the participant.
- Capstone project that demonstrates mastery of knowledge and skill and involves the implementation of a new or revised program or product.
Length Certification Valid
5 years (recertification available)
Overview of 2022 – 2024 Course
May 25 and June 7, 2022: Information sessions. Register here.
July 1 – August 30, 2022: PEEC Application and Diversity Scholarship Application period
September 30, 2022: Notification of 2022 – 2024 PEEC cohort and Diversity Scholarship recipients
October (TBD) 2022: Welcome/Kickoff Meeting
January 13 – 15, 2023: Workshop 1 (Coastal)
August 1 – 3, 2023: Workshop 2 (Upstate)
January 12 – 14, 2024: Workshop 3 (Midlands)
August 6 – 8, 2024: Workshop 4 (TBD)