PEEC Program Overview
The PEEC program design is robust (challenges and strengthens your skills as an environmental educator), relevant (fosters learning about South Carolina’s natural resources and environmental education best practices), and diverse in content and format.
The PEEC content blends the North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) Core Competencies with South Carolina specific topics, examples, and regions.
- Timeline for Completion: 2 years
- Eligibility: South Carolina K-12 formal and nonformal educators
- Environmental education training and experiences in the different regions of the state
- 120 Hours of Renewal Credit through the S.C. State Department of Education
$600 (includes workshop lodging, field experiences, some meals, instruction, and supplies)
- Four, two-night and three-day, in-person workshops designed to develop skills for effective environmental education instruction.
- Eight online modules using Coursesites by Blackboard© online learning platform. These modules explore topics such as the foundations and history of the field of environmental education.
- Individualized elective component (90 hours) that encourages exploration of and the different regions of the state and aligns with the personal interests of the participant.
- Capstone project that demonstrates mastery of knowledge and skill and involves the implementation of a new or revised program or product.
- Virtual networking skills.
Length Certification Valid
5 years (recertification available)
Overview of 2020–2022 Class
November and December, 2020: Coursesites by Blackboard© Training for PEEC class participants.
January 15 – 17, 2021: Workshop #1 (Coastal Location)
August 3 – 5, 2021: Workshop #2 (Upstate Location)
January 14 – 16, 2022: Workshop #3 (Midlands Location)
August 2 – 4, 2022: Workshop #4 (Graduation) (Coastal Location)